Real-World Career Guidance for Practice-Oriented Graduate Students
Sunday, April 15, 2012
This interactive colloquium is designed to help practice-oriented master’s and PhD students transition into successful real-world careers. Analytics and O.R. students graduating from graduate programs are motivated, analytical and technically sound. However, their graduate backgrounds do not necessarily arm them with the “softer” and “higher-level” skills necessary for success in industrial careers. This colloquium presents the experience and perspective of practitioners who have bridged the gap in order to give attendees a jump-start in their new careers.
IPC registration fee of $375 covers all these benefits:
• Colloquium on Sunday, April 15
• Full registration to the INFORMS Analytics Conference, April 15-17 (includes all meals)
Students are nominated by their department or program, and selected by the IPC Committee. While it is anticipated that universities will fund students’ registration and travel expenses, limited financial aid from sponsoring companies is available to help defray the costs of those expenses. For information on financial aid, email Sandy Owens email@example.com
Nomination Requirements and Process
Nomination deadline: March 12, 2012
The colloquium will strive to have a representation from varied universities and organizations to ensure diverse perspectives among the attendees. Attendance will be limited to ensure quality of interaction.
- Students must be enrolled in a graduate program in analytics, operations research, management science or a related field.
- Students must be nominated by their university program or department, or company supervisor.
- A department or program may nominate multiple students. When nominating multiple students, the department/program needs to indicate the preferred priority of nominees in the event that total nominations exceed the colloquium’s attendance limit.
- While the colloquium is primarily targeted at master’s level students, PhD students are also welcome to apply.
- Recent graduates (within one year of date of graduation) will also be considered, although higher priority will be given to currently enrolled students.
Nominations should be sent by the department chair or supervisor and include:
- Letter of recommendation from the department chair or supervisor;
- Statement of purpose from the nominee including description of career and research interests;
- Nominee’s name, mailing address, email address and phone number
Other required information to include in the submission: nominee’s major field of study, expected degree (M.S., PhD, MBA, etc.), expected date of graduation, and thesis, dissertation title (or area of concentration if nominee’s program does not require a thesis).
Email nominations to Sandy Owens firstname.lastname@example.org
Nomination deadline March 1, 2012
Cost and Financial Assistance
Cost of IPC attendance is $375 per candidate, due by April 1, 2012. The $375 fee includes admission to the colloquium and full registration to the INFORMS conference. Limited financial assistance is available to ensure diversity of participants and representing institutions. For information on financial aid, email email@example.com.
Contact Sandy Owens firstname.lastname@example.org