Other Important Information »
From the front matter of the printed program -- updated details on plenary presentations, social events, tours, hotel floor plans, exhibits and more.
Every room will be equipped with an LCD (data) projector. Only a limited supply of overhead projectors will be available. Speakers were asked to reserve an overhead projector in advance if they required an overhead. If you did not reserve in advance, but wish to use an overhead, please go to a Session Monitor or the registration desk to check on availability.
Please follow these guidelines to ensure a successful presentation using the LCD projector:
- Bring your laptop PC to your session. We supply the projector, but we DO NOT supply the computer.
- IMPORTANT: you will also need an adaptor - the local voltage is 220 volts AC. The majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged plug. Adaptors are readily available in local shops in Hong Kong. You can also purchase this plug at http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=1055 or similar travel sites and stores. In addition, check to make sure that any device you wish to plug in is capable of operating at 220-240 volts. You may need to set a switch to change the voltage or it may automatically adapt to the higher voltage. If your device operates on 110-120 volts only, you will need a transformer to reduce the voltage from the outlet down to 110-120 volts. The power rating (in watts) of the transformer should be greater than the power rating of the device you wish to use.
- Bring your laptop’s power adaptor with you. Do not attempt to run your presentation off the laptop battery.
- Produce and bring overhead transparencies as a backup.
- Arrive at your session at least ½ hour before it begins. All presenters in a session should set up and test the connection to the projector before the session begins.
Speaker Ready Room
A Speaker Ready Room (Sheraton – Floor 3) is available for you to practice connecting your laptop to the LCD projector. Technical assistance will also be available during the technical sessions for any problems. The Speaker Ready Room will be open during the following hours:
For Assistance During Your Session: Session Monitor Desks
Session Monitor Desks will be located in several locations in both the Sheraton and Holiday Inn (hotel maps will be provided in your printed program). Students from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology will staff these desks. If you have a problem in your session room (related to AV needs or any other requests), go to the Session Monitor Desk in the area to ask for assistance.
TRANSPORTATION TO HOTEL FROM HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
The conference venue, the Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers, is located in Tsim Sha Tsui in the heart of Kowloon.
Deluxe Sheraton Hotel Shuttle Bus
After clearing customs, please proceed through Exit B to the Hong Kong Hotels Association Hotel Pick-up Counter B10 (see map below). The airport representatives will assist you with the transfer arrangement. Schedule:
Hours of Operation: 6:15am – 12:15 midnight (daily)
Bus Fare: HK$ 130 per person, one way
Frequency: Every 30 minutes
Pick-up Counter: B10
Taxi stands are located on the north side of the Ground Transportation Centre (the left-hand ramp if you are leaving from the Arrivals Hall). Separate aisles are designated for different taxis: take the “Urban” taxi (the red one) to go to the hotel in Tsim Sha Shui. It takes around 30 minutes to get from the Airport to the Sheraton. Taxi fare is approximately HK$ 300. Taxi-drivers in Hong Kong are normally able to communicate in English. However, you should click here and print out the following and present it to the driver just in case of language differences .
Mass Transit Railway (MTR)
The MTR high-speed Airport Express is another way to get to the hotel. The trip takes about 23 minutes and runs every 12 minutes. Tickets can be purchased throughout the airport at either terminal (A or B) that merges into one area where the train is located. Round trip is HK$ 160.
First go from the airport to Hong Kong station, then change to the platform of Tsuen Wan Line (the red route shown above) and then from Hong Kong station to Tsim Sha Tsui. When you arrive at the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station, go to Exit E and walk along the Nathan Road towards the direction of the Hong Kong Space Museum. The Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers is opposite the Peninsula Hotel.
Visitors can also take the Airport Express to Kowloon Station and then take the free shuttle bus (line K2) to go to the Sheraton Hotel. The single fare is HK$90 and the round trip is HK$160.
You can pick up your registration materials, badge and printed program at the INFORMS registration desk. Registration is open:
|Saturday, June 24 – 1:00pm-7:00pm
||Foyer-Secretarial Room, Level 3
|Sunday, June 25 – 7:00am-5:00pm
||Pre-Function Area, Level 3
|Monday, June 26 – 7:00am-5:00pm
|| Pre-Function Area, Level 3
|Tuesday, June 27 – 7:00am-5:00pm
|| Pre-Function Area, Level 3
|Wednesday, June 28 – 7:00am-3:30pm
|| Pre-Function Area, Level 3
HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MEETING
Badge Required for Technical Sessions
Your registration badge must be worn to all meeting events. Badges will be checked at the entrance to technical session areas and at all social functions. Attendees without badges will be directed to the registration desk to pick up their badges and register. All attendees, including Cluster Chairs, Session Chairs and speakers must register and pay the registration fee.
When you pick up your registration materials, you'll receive the printed program with four resources:
- The technical session listing, which provides the most detailed information. The listing is presented chronologically by day/time, showing each session and the papers/abstracts/authors within each session.
- The Master Track Schedule. This is an overview of the tracks (general topic areas) and their time/locations.
- Floor plans that show you where technical session tracks are located.
- Three cross-references indices: authors, session chairs, and sessions.
The Session Code
Each session is identified with a code - for example, MC11.
- The first letter is the day of the week.
- The second letter is the time block:
- Sunday-Tuesday session times: A = 8:00am-9:30am; B = 10:00am-11:30pm; C = 1:30pm-3:00pm; D = 3:30pm-5:00pm.
- Wednesday session times: A = 8:00am-9:30am; B = 10:00am-11:30pm; C = 11:45am-1:15pm; D = 1:30pm-3:00pm; E =3:30pm-5:00pm.
The number is the track, which correlates with room location.
To Find Your Own Session
Use the Author Index at the back of the printed program - the session code for your presentation(s) will be shown. Then refer to the full session listing for the location of your session(s).
MEETING VENUE - ROOM LOCATIONS
The printed program you receive in Hong Kong will list room locations for all sessions and events, as well as provide floor plans. The Sunday evening Welcome Reception, Monday evening General Reception, exhibits and 16 technical sessions will be held at the Sheraton Hotel. Five technical sessions will be located in the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. A map and floor plan will be available in your printed meeting program
Go to the registration area and pick up your registration materials, badge and printed program at the INFORMS registration desk. The room and location of your session will be listed in the Technical Sessions section of the meeting program and in the Master Track Schedule.
GUIDELINES FOR SESSION CHAIRS
The role of the Chair is to coordinate the smooth running of the session. The Chair:
- Begins and ends each session on time. Each session lasts 90 minutes, with the time per presentation determined by the number of papers in the session. Equal time should be given to each paper.
- Introduces each presentation (just the title of the paper and the name of the presenting author).
- Ensures that presentations are made in the order shown in the program. This allows for “session jumping.” If a speaker cancels or does not attend, the original time schedule should be adhered to rather than sliding every talk forward
- Completes the session attendance forms (forms will be in the room).
E-MAIL ACCESS & BUSINESS CENTER
There will be no email access being provided by the conference. Both hotels provides email and business center services that you can utilize.
The Sheraton Business Center offers Internet access at HK$45 (US$ 5.80) for the first 15 minutes, and HK$3 (US$.39) for every minute after that. Two complimentary B&W print-outs are included in the fee, as well as self-serve coffee and tea. The Center also provides fax, copying, equipment rental and other services. You can also rent private office and work station space.
Location: Floor 2
Monday - Friday: 7:30am – 11:30pm
Saturday, Sunday: 9:00am-5:00pm
For guests staying at the Sheraton, high-speed connection is available in your room at a rate of HK$120 (US$15.74) per day.
The Holiday Inn does not operate a business center. However, you can go to the hotel’s front desk to request services. For guests staying at the Holiday Inn, high-speed connection is available in your room at a rate of HK$116 (US$14.95) per day.
The best way for people to reach you is to contact you directly at your hotel. Please leave your hotel phone number with your colleagues and family members. For urgent messages, call the Sheraton (852-2369-1111) and ask for the INFORMS Registration Desk. Registration staff will transcribe the message and post it on the message board located near registration. You can also contact colleagues attending the conference using this message board. Please check the message board periodically to see if you have received a message.
WEATHER: WHAT TO EXPECT
The weather in June is hot and humid. Temperatures range from 26 º C (79 º F) to 33 º C (92 º F). Humidity is close to 86%. Be sure to bring along a sweater or light jacket, since hotel meeting rooms can sometimes be chilly.