|PLANT & GUEST TOURS
You may still be able to register for the following plant tours. Go to the INFORMS Registration Desk for information on availability. Meet at the Hilton, Promenade East Lobby, ground level (from the lobby level, take the escalator down to the Promenade East Lobby). Buses will leave at the beginning time listed for each tour, and will return to the Hilton at the ending time listed.
General Dynamics NASSCO
Tuesday, October 13
8:40am-10:20 am $35
General Dynamics NASSCO has been designing and building ships since 1959, specializing in auxiliary and support ships for the U.S. Navy and oil tankers and dry cargo carriers for commercial markets. Located in San Diego, NASSCO employs more than 4,700 people and is the only major ship construction yard on the West Coast of the United States. The tour of the facility will be carried out on the bus (no off-bus walking at the facility), guided by company employees, along with a company overview and opportunities for Q&A.
|Passport to Balboa Park Museums and Garden
Sunday, October 11
Scenic Balboa Park is America's largest municipal park. Nestled above the downtown area and housing museums from two major world expositions, Balboa Park has given San Diego the largest collection of museums outside our nation’s capital. In addition to the fine museums, renowned theaters, Spanish architecture, sculptured fountains, street jugglers, mimes and musicians, there are splendid gardens and excellent restaurants to delight your senses.
You will receive a “passport” to Balboa Park that allows one entrance to four of the participating thirteen museums and the Japanese Friendship Garden. Participating museums are:
- Aerospace Museum - Outstanding collection of historic U.S. and foreign aircraft, aircraft equipment, space vehicles and other aerial exhibits.
- Automotive Museum - Chronicles the history of personal transportation in the internal combustion engine era and highlights America's love affair with automobiles.
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center - The Science Center exhibit hall contains displays, devices and exhibits which require visitor interaction to illustrate principles of science.
- San Diego Museum of Art - Internationallyrecognized, major U.S. art museum featuring a gathering of great art from all periods, as well as changing exhibitions.
- Hall of Champions - Oneofakind, allsports museum honoring San Diego athletes who have achieved national and world recognition in sports.
- Natural History Museum - Authentic exhibits and exciting expeditions offering exceptional opportunity to view nature of today and of the prehistoric past.
- Japanese Friendship Garden - Features a koi pond and Japanese art exhibits.
- Mingei International Museum - Changing exhibitions of arts of people from all cultures, including ceramics, textiles, toys, and other objects of daily use.
- Model Railroad Museum - The museum maintains an extensive collection of locomotives, freight and passenger cars.
- Museum of Photographic Arts - Dedicated to human expression as seen through photography, film and video.
- Museum of Man - Presents exciting exhibits and events highlighting man's physical and cultural development, with emphasis on the people of the Western Americas and ancient Egypt.
- Museum of San Diego History - San Diego history from 1850 to the present comes alive with authentic displays of historical sights and sounds. Traveling exhibits and extensive collections of photos, costumes and artifacts.
- San Diego Art Institute - Exhibitions of the contemporary arts of San Diego. The combination of classic architecture and modern art allows the institute to bridge the gap between past and present in Balboa Park.
|Roar and Explore at the San Diego Zoo
Monday, October 12
The San Diego Zoo is the world's foremost zoological facility and is known for its extensive collection of flora and fauna. Explore the zoo and visit new and innovative exhibits, trademarks of the San Diego Zoo. Recent additions and renovations to the zoo include: the Giant Panda Research Station, Gorilla Tropics, Hippo Beach, Polar Bear Plunge, Scripps Aviary, Tiger River and Sun Bear Forest.
Your visit to the San Diego Zoo includes:
- 35-minute guided bus tour
- Express bus
- Skyfari aerial tram
- Free time at the Zoo for all animal shows and exhibits, based on 3 hours
- Uniformed tour guide staff assistance