Abstract Submission Abstract Submission is now Open
Deadline for submission is Thursday, January 11, 2018.
All submitters for the SELECT Speaker Category will be notified whether they were accepted in early February.
You are invited to submit a proposal to present at the 2018 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and O.R. Speakers selected through this process receive a discount off regular registration rates.
We welcome proposals in all areas and all topics within the business analytics and O.R. arena. We encourage you to submit a proposal for review by the Selection Committee. Both presentation content and speaking expertise will be considered in selection, with priority given to real-world business topics and high-quality academic work geared to real situations.
Benefits of Presenting
- Discounted conference registration rate.
- Registration covers the conference program, the Edelman Awards Banquet, Welcome Reception and breakfasts, lunches and breaks for two days.
- The prestige of being selected to present at an INFORMS high quality conference.
- An opportunity to participate fully in the conference and network with industry practitioners, academics and consultants.
Requirements of Presenting
- A 50-minute presentation by one speaker (multiple presenters and panels not accepted).
- Final presentation slides submitted 4 weeks before the conference.
- Willingness to tailor a presentation for a listener audience and to accept direction from the Selection Committee.
- Willingness to serve as a discussion leader for small group roundtables, if requested.
- Full participation in the conference (both the education and social program), for at least the day of the presentation and preferably the entire conference.
Selection Criteria and Guidelines
The review and acceptance process is highly selective, with two primary criteria.
- Real-world business topics, with technical content included.
- High quality academic work geared to real situations.
- Applications reports, case studies, best practice examples, emerging topics and tutorials with a practice-orientation.
- All application areas of analytics and OR/MS considered.
- Presentations directed to a “listener” audience (most members of the audience attend the conference to listen to high quality presentations, not to present), of which approximately 80% are practitioners.
To Submit a Proposal
Information you will need to provide when you submit:
- Contact information; biographical information; JPG photo
- Presentation title
- Abstract: a 500-word extended abstract written with the listener’s perspective in mind. Your abstract should answer the listener’s basic question: “What will I learn from this session? What information/knowledge/ideas will I come away with?” It’s important that you describe in as much detail as possible what you will cover in your presentation. A bulleted list of topics, points, examples and issues can be an effective technique for doing this.
- Presenters must have demonstrated speaking experience.
- Speaking references are requested during the submission process.
- Potential speakers could be interviewed by phone.