Real-World Career Guidance for Practice-Oriented Early-Career Practitioners
|When:||Sunday, April 15, 2018 (immediately preceding INFORMS Business Analytics Conference)|
|8:00 AM to 5:00 PM|
Combining what were formerly known as the Professional Colloquium (IPC) and Early Career Connections (ECC), the Early Career Professionals’ Network (ECPN) is hosting this highly selective interactive colloquium designed to help practice-oriented graduate students and early-career practitioners in their analytics/O.R. career. Analytics and O.R. graduate degree programs develop motivated, analytical, and technically-sound graduates. However, these programs do not necessarily cover the “softer” and “higher-level” skills necessary for success in technical careers. This colloquium presents the perspective of experienced practitioners who have bridged the gap in order to give attendees (who are either early in their career or soon to graduate) a jump-start in their new careers.
- The event will strive to have representation from varied universities and organizations to ensure diverse perspectives among attendees. Attendance will be limited to ensure quality of interaction.
- Participants must be enrolled in or have graduated from a graduate degree program in analytics, operations research, management science, or a related field.
- Participants must be nominated by their university program/department or company supervisor.
- A department or company may nominate multiple students/employees. When nominating multiple students/employees, the department/program needs to indicate the preferred priority of nominees in the event that total nominations exceed the event’s attendance limit.
- The event is geared to both master’s and PhD students and both are welcome to apply. Students in the later years of technical degree programs or graduates from technical degree programs who are early in their career are both considered for attendance, and both will be given equal consideration.
Nomination Deadline: Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Notification Date: March 8, 2017
Nomination Package: This should be completed and uploaded by the department chair, program director, or supervisor. Packages are due by close of business on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 and must include the following information in the format specified:
- Letter of recommendation from the department chair, program director, or supervisor.
- Statement of purpose from the nominee including description of career and research interests.
- Nominee’s name, mailing address, email address and phone number.
- Other required information to include in the submission: nominee’s major field of study, expected degree (M.S., PhD, MBA, etc.), expected date of graduation, and thesis/dissertation title (or area of concentration if nominee’s program does not require a thesis).
- Estimate of travel expenses and amount of financial aid requested. Note: Award amounts will be determined after sponsorships have been confirmed. If this request is not included in the nomination package, no consideration will be given for financial aid.