With 1320 sessions and 166 posters being presented over four days, it can be hard to find content of interest to you as a practitioner. So here is a head start.
Networking for Practitioners
Here are some fun events for you to attend and network and socialize with fellow practitioners!
- Welcome Reception – All are invited to join us for the Welcome Reception; it is the perfect venue to meet with colleagues and visit the exhibits. Light fare will be served. Soft drinks are complimentary, with a cash bar for other beverages.
- ABOK Celebration – Join us at the INFORMS Center, Exhibit Hall E, from 4-4:30pm to celebrate the publication of the INFORMS Analytics Body of Knowledge.
- Analytics Society Meeting – Meet and socialize with fellow Analytics Society members in the Convention Center North, 228B, 200 level, from 6:15-7:15pm. You don’t need to be a member to join us.
- CAPs & Coffee – This delightful event connects Certification Analytics Professionals (CAPs) with each other to discuss the value of CAP, recommendations on how to promote your CAP, and CAP recertification. Join us on Tuesday, November 6 from 3:30–4:30pm in the Cassidy Room at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix to network and connect with your CAP peers.
- INFORMS Practice Section Reception and Business Meeting – Drinks and appetizers will be served. You are welcome to bring a guest who is not a member of the Practice Section to Mancuso’s Restaurant, Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 5–6:30pm. Mancuso’s is very close to the Phoenix Convention Center, the place of the Annual Meeting.
- INFORMS Member Meeting – The INFORMS Board of Directors encourages all members to bring their ideas, opinions, and suggestions to this meeting. Current business and future directions for INFORMS are on the agenda. Also, our outstanding members will be celebrated with the presentation of the Volunteer Service Award.
- General Reception – Join us from 7-10pm at the Arizona Science Center for food, fellowship, fun & education!
Helping to Build Your Career
Stand Out from the Crowd. Visit the INFORMS Center to learn more about becoming a Certified Analytics Professional. Adding CAP to your name ensures future employers of the quality of your skill set.
Attend the Career Fair. Sunday from 12-5pm employers that are hiring during the Annual Meeting will be available to answer your questions and schedule interviews. Check here for a list of employers. Job Listings can be found in the library for the 2018 Annual Meeting INFORMS Connect page.
Plan on Attending. Industry Job Search Panel on Monday, November 5, from 11am-12:30pm in Phoenix Convention Center North, 128A, 100 Level. This panel discusses the interview process for positions in industry and covers the do’s and don’ts associated with your job search. Time will be provided for questions and answers. Panelists:
- Linda Burtch – Founder & Managing Director, Burtch Works; MBA, Western Michigan
- Bill McDaniel – Senior Systems Analyst, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab; PhD, Northwestern
- Jon Petersen – Head of Data Science, Aviation, Uber; PhD, Georgia Tech
- Sricharan Poundarikapuram – Principal Data Scientist, SAP America; PhD UW-Madison
- Iris Singhania – Director Space Optimization/Data Science, The Home Depot; PhD, Minnesota
- Darren Xu – Senior Data Scientist, Walmart Labs; PhD, Arizona
Upload Your Resume. Searching for a new position? Make sure your resume is up-to-date in the INFORMS Career Center. Free to INFORMS Members.
Take a Headshot. Need a professional headshot for a resume, LinkedIn profile, or business card? Stop by the headshot station, next to Booth #5, where you can sit with a professional photographer for no charge!
Volunteer for Pro Bono Analytics. Visit the INFORMS Center and volunteer a few minutes of your time to help build snack packs that will be donated to St. Mary’s Food Bank in support of their efforts. We hope that you take a moment to stop by, build a kit, and volunteer for Pro Bono Analytics and make an impact in underserved communities with your analytics skills.